Do you see yourself in the hulking creatures of legend? The warped beings of myth? If you're disabled and have experienced gender-based oppression we encourage you to submit. Monstering accepts submissions of writing, artwork, and audio-visual features.
We are looking for the divine, the profane, the righteous; we are looking for the twisted fairytales—the origin stories—of the monsters behind your eyes. Walk us through the rituals of your cleansing; bring us to our knees with the meat of your howl.
Be bold, dear creatures. Be unholy, and above all, be brave.
We publish creative writing, art and audio-visual work (poetry, prose, short stories, painting, digital media, short films, etc) as well as non-fiction work such as media reviews, interviews and disability-related social commentary. Interested in submitting something that doesn't fall under our triumvirate (i.e., writing, artwork, and audio-visual submissions)? For pitch-specific inquires, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and a brief overview of the feature you're submitting for consideration.
Contributors retain copyright. However, upon publication, contributors give Monstering permission to promote and distribute their work—including the contributor's name or pseudonym and biography—accordingly. We retain First World Electronic (Internet/Online) Rights, and may contact contributors at a later time in pursuit of Archival Rights.
Monstering will not make any editorial or formatting changes without the contributor's approval. Contributors retain the right to review the final draft of their work prior to publication.
With regards to re-publication, Monstering requests that you (a) contact us if/when such a case arises, and (b) credit us as the work's first publisher.
We are currently unable to pay contributors, but we are working towards gathering finances to change this. We appreciate every submission and your support of Monstering.
Our posts are published every week as frequently as possible, on Mondays and Thursday. They are reviewed by Kristen Tollan, our EIC and Sarah Duncan, our blog director, and the rest of the team on a regular basis. Decisions on submissions will be sent within a week, and published on the next available Monday or Thursday.
As of January 1, 2022, we no longer have two separate forms of publication (the general issues and the blog) — instead, Monstering is continuously open for submissions unless otherwise noted. All pieces we choose to publish will be posted to our website as well as advertised on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages.
- We do not accept previously published work. If your piece has been published elsewhere, please do not submit it.
- If your piece has been published on a personal blog or website, please remove it upon acceptance.
- We encourage simultaneous submissions, but please inform us if your work has been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- We take up to 6 pieces per submission (email) per author/artist.
- We take up to 3 submissions per calendar month.
- Please send a cover letter with your submission, including a brief biography and the title(s) of your piece(s). This letter cannot be viewed by anyone except for the Editor-in-Chief, so your identity will not be revealed to those evaluating your work.
- Please send your submission, including your cover letter, to email@example.com.
- Submissions are kept anonymous, so do not put any identifying information in the document(s) you attach to your submission.
- All submissions must have a subject heading that adheres to the following template: NAME [FIRST LAST] / CATEGORY (i.e., WRITING, ARTWORK, or AUDIO-VISUAL) / TITLE(S) OF PIECE(S).
- All pieces must be sent as an attachment, and not in the body of the email.
- Please send all poetry submissions in Times New Roman, single-spaced, size 12.
- Please send all non-poetry text submissions in Times New Roman, double-spaced, size 12.
- We take prose submissions up to 7,500 words.
(Updated December 29, 2021)
Interested in contributing to the #resistance? Donate to one of our favourite charities and, in turn, we'll expedite your submission process with a 72-hour turn around time, and priority advertising on our socials. You'll also get our eternal love and gratitude, not to mention the knowledge that your money is going to a good cause. And, like, what could be better than that, right?
Send a copy of your donation receipt, along with your submission, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our general submission guidelines first, though!
Please contact us if you would like to donate to a different charity (ie. one local to you) and we will discuss the process.
- $10+ USD
Response within 72 hours of submission confirmation
- AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES (AAPD)
- AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION (ACLU)
- BLACK LIVES MATTER (BLM)
- COUNCIL ON AMERICAN-ISLAMIC RELATIONS (CAIR)
- PLANNED PARENTHOOD (PP)
- STANDING ROCK SIOUX